Monday, February 27, 2006

Favorite Friend Friday - Yes, I know it's Monday.

OK, this weekend has been CRAZY! It definitely had some fun times, but there were some not fun times too. And regardless of the label of the times, it was BUSY!

On Saturday night Maleah and I went to see a play at WCU entitled Extremities. This is a tough play that tackles the issues of sexual assault and rights of women. It also makes you pay attention to the way victims/survivors are treated after the fact. And in a bizarre way, it makes you think a little about the story of the attacker. This play did that for me more than it probably did for other audience members for one simple reason. The rapist is my friend of the week: Anthony Giordano. (And that's a sentence I never thought I would write.)

I've known Anthony forever it seems. Anthony was a camper as well as a member of my youth group at First Baptist. As he grew up, our relationship changed. He became a camp counselor. He also became my friend who would come and visit me at school every Tuesday and Thursday between classes! These were the highlights of my work week! Anthony is an amazing guy with a wonderful sense of humor. He loves to be on stage. And we love for him to be there. Most of what I have seen Anthony do on stage has been strictly comedy. He is soooo good at making us laugh and the anticipation when he is on stage is almost overwhelming. In the last couple of weeks I have been able to see him in a couple of different roles. He was a little more serious in The Tempest, but it was still a fun role. His role in Extremities was neither fun nor funny. Maleah and I were talking about how much we would love to sit down and talk with Anthony and his co-stars about their preparation for these roles, the understandings the actors had to have with each other, how they are able to decompress after a performance like that, how doing this play has changed their view on things or at least their awareness...and so much more. I left this play feeling physically and emotionally drained and completely amazed. I am so proud of Anthony for doing such a hard role, for not backing down because of the topic of this show, and for showing us that he is capable of so much more than comedy. He was spectacular. My respect for him as an actor is through the roof. I've always known he was good, but I think I made the mistake of boxing him into one type of role. I'm glad he broke through that box.

I expect great things from Anthony. I think he will go far in his career. I also think he will use his charismatic spirit and his love for God and rock the world in other ways. All I have to say is: Everybody, hang on!!! :)

My life is better and a little crazier for knowing Anthony Giordano.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i'm proud that you went